Wednesday, September 7, 2011

enjoying a fading summer...

"Live in the moment and make it so beautiful that it will be worth remembering."
- Fanny Crosby

Instead of living in the moment I often catch myself reminiscing about the past...the good ol' college days with my roommates, summer at home with my family in Washington, dating Adam and being engaged (I LOVED being engaged:), newly wed memories, and when Brooks was tiny enough I could hold him in one arm while he slept and with the other arm I'd clean the kitchen.

Or I'll look forward to the future...when Brooks will talk in full sentences and I'll understand what he wants, when Adam and I will someday travel back to Japan (where he served his mission) and stop in Hawaii on the way there, when we fly to Spokane to enjoy Thanksgiving with my family this November, when I can wear tights and scarves as the weather gets cooler, and wondering what festivities this Christmas will hold for us (I look forward to Christmas starting December 26th of every year;).

But lately I've been trying my best to enjoy more of the now. Even though it's September, and I am stoked the fall season is upon us...I'm going to soak up every last drop of summer while the weather is warm.
Because next summer Brooks probably won't call every animal he sees "doggy!" (from bunnies and birds, to cats and dogs, to tiny ants)...
...he may not be wearing swim diapers (let's hope;)...
...he won't need to hold my hand to help him go down the slide at less-than-mach-speed...
...his hair may not have those darling curls, giving that we cut it by then ;) ...
And with my "doggy"-yelling, swim diaper-wearing, hand-holding, curly haired boy I want to enjoy the hot sun, cool water, refreshing popsicles, barbecues with family and friends, warm nights, and longs days of this fading summer.
PS - Our favorite popsicles as of late are semi-homemade...frozen dark chocolate almond milk. DELISH :)

5 comments:

kylee said...

one of my biggest dreams is to return to my future husband's mission with him. can't wait for you to return to japan with yours!

Davis Valley Classic said...

Today was so much fun! Love all the pictures, especially the one where Brooks is giving you a big smile while you were doing your fish face!
I'm sad that summer is ending, but I'm excited for fall too! What is next week looking like for you? I'm pretty free, lets do that lunch date we talked about at the good ol' fancy McDonalds! Maybe I will get in another fight with some crazy moms so you can witness my rage! Haha!

Megan said...

um brooks with chocolate on his facE? SOOO adorable! I tend to look forward to things and count down days and months rather than live in the moment. Thanks for reminding me :)

SWEATshirtDRESSshirt said...

I couldn't agree with you more about trying to enjoy the present. It's great to reminisce about the past, but you have to believe that more good things are in store for the future! :)

By the way, you are really pretty! I'm jealous of your flawless skin.


XO,
SWEATshirt DRESSshirt
http://sweatshirtdressshirt.blogspot.com

P.S. I'm giving away an Infiniti curler and $25 to Sephora away on my blog. I would love if you could check it out!

Ashley {hudson's happenings} said...

BEAUTIFUL, Haley. Just beautiful. What a way to look at the last few days of summer; I, of course, have been rushing rushing rushing Fall (my favorite). I even cleaned out my summer clothes today, and organized my coats and sweaters. Ha. BUT this post makes me want to slow it down a bit. Savor those last yummy drops of summer// bare baby feet, popsicles, fresh fruit, starry skies, warm breezes, etc etc etc.

SOAK it up, Haley! (I will be, too, now.)

p.s. I got a little teary reading this. ;) You're such a talented writer.

xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...